Significant Event Notice
Insurance changes effective 1 November 2021
Christian Super regularly reviews the Death, Total and Permanent Disablement (TPD), and Income Protection cover we offer to ensure that they remain both competitive, and appropriate for our members’ needs. Following our most recent review, we have implemented a number of changes to our insurance offering that will better align our cover with what’s available in the industry. These changes will see a reduction in the premiums paid for most of our members.
What does this mean for me?
As you currently hold insurances through your Christian Super account, the following changes may apply to you from 1 November 2021:
- We have simplified our TPD Definition to make it easier for eligible members to claim;
- We have merged our Group 3 – ‘Light Blue Collar ‘and Group 4 – ‘Heavy Blue Collar’ occupational codes, in line with the rest of the industry, into a new ‘Blue Collar’ category;
- We have increased the maximum amount of Death cover you can apply for from $20 million to an unlimited amount; and
- We have re-negotiated the rates we pay to our insurance provider to better reflect the insurance needs of our members based on age and likelihood to claim.
Though most members will see a decrease in the premiums paid, some members (particularly former Group 3 – ‘Light Blue Collar’ members) may see a slight increase.
Additional changes to your TPD cover
In addition to these changes, as a younger member you currently receive more TPD cover than your Death cover. As we’ve reviewed the appropriateness of this, we’ve determined it’s no longer beneficial as:
- It adds to the cost of your insurances, impacting your retirement outcomes; and
- Some of the risks that previously warranted higher TPD cover are now covered by government schemes, better protecting your needs going forward.
As a result, from 1 November 2021, members under the age of 30 will receive the same amount of TPD and Death cover. This will likely mean that you will pay less premiums, but if you would like to maintain your existing level of cover, you can apply to keep this (subject to underwriting by our insurer). If you’d like to apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Where can I find more information?
You can find further details here: www.christiansuper.com.au/insurance-changes-2021/
It’s a good idea to consider if your insurances are still appropriate whenever your circumstances change. Log in to your online MemberAccess account to view your current level of insurance cover.
If you have any other questions, please contact our Member Care Team.