Employers and members are equally represented on the Trustee Board of Directors. The Trustee operates the National Office to coordinate the Fund’s management and development activities. External service providers have been appointed to handle the Fund’s investment, insurance and administration activities. The role of the Board is to:
- Promote the vision and values of the Fund
- Ensure that the Fund’s Statement of Faith is effectively outworked in the life of the Fund.
- Set the strategic direction of the Fund and monitor the implementation and achievement of that strategic direction
- Ensure prudent management of the Trustee’s business operations
- Ensure the Trustee meets its legal and regulatory obligations
- Approve and monitor the Fund’s risk management systems
- Appoint and review the performance of the Chief Executive Officer
The Trustee Board meets quarterly, and an Attendance Register for the last 7 years is available here. Each director is also a member of at least one Board Committee, that operate in accordance with the Committees Charter and Terms of Reference. Each committee meets quarterly, with the exception of the Ethics Committee, which meets twice a year.
- Audit, Risk & Compliance Committee
- Board Governance & Remuneration Committee
- Community Engagement Committee
- Ethics Committee
- Investment Committee
In the exercise of its role the Board is to:
- Exercise all care and diligence in carrying out its functions and duties and in protecting the rights and interests of members and beneficiaries.
- Ensure that the assets of the Fund are kept separate from the assets, investments and other property vested in or held by the Trustee.
- Perform its functions and exercise its powers in the best interests of members and beneficiaries and not in the interests of the Trustee if those interests are not the same as those of members and beneficiaries.
All Directors undertake ongoing education and training relevant to their duties to ensure they have appropriate skills with reference to the Fund’s Trustee Standards, and the Board maintains annual Board, director and senior manager performance processes which have been carried out in the past year.