Certified ID – Providing Proof of your Identity

On occasion you may be required to provide certified proof of identity documents so that we can verify your identity. We hope that the outline below will guide you with what steps to take and what appropriate documents you need to supply when providing certified proof of identity.


Approved certified documentation

The following documents are deemed as formal proof of identity (ID):

One of the following documents:

  • current passport
  • (current driver’s licence
  • card issued by a State or Territory for the purpose of proving your age,

If you don’t have one of the documents listed above, you will need to provide one of the following documents:

  • birth certificate or extract
  • citizenship certificate issued by the Commonwealth
  • current Pension card issued by the Department of Human Services.

PLUS one of the following documents showing your name and residential address:

  • notice issued by the Commonwealth, State or Territory within the last 12 months that shows you are receiving a financial benefit, such as a Centrelink payment notice
  • notice issued by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) within the last 12 months that shows a debt to or refund from the Commonwealth, such as a Tax Assessment notice
  • notice issued by a local Government body or utilities provider within the last three months for the provision of services, such as a council rates notice or electricity bill
  • if you’re under 18, a notice issued by a school principal within the last three months which shows the period of time you’ve attended at the school.


How to certify your documents:

  1. Make a photocopy of the original ID document that identifies you (eg your driver’s licence).
  2. Take both your original ID document and the photocopy to an authorised person who can certify (eg your local post office or police station)
  3. Get the authorised person to stamp or write ‘I certify this to be a true copy of the document shown and reported to me as the original’, followed by their signature, full name, qualification, registration number (if applicable) and the date.


Who can certify your identity?

  • a Justice of the Peace
  • a pharmacist, medical practitioner, nurse, dentist, optometrist, chiropractor, physiotherapist, psychologist or veterinary surgeon
  • a teacher employed on a full-time basis at a school or tertiary education institution
  • a police officer
  • a notary public
  • a permanent employee of Australia Post with two or more years of continuous service who is employed in an office supplying postal services to the public
  • an agent of the Australia Postal Corporation who is in charge of an office supplying postal services to the public
  • a bank, building society, credit union or finance company officer with two or more years of continuous service
  • an officer with, or authorised representative of, a holder of an AFSL with two or more years of continuous service with one or more licensees
  • a permanent employee of the Commonwealth or a Commonwealth authority, a State/Territory or a State/Territory authority or a local government authority, with two or more years of continuous service
  • a Member of the Parliament of the Commonwealth, the Parliament of a State/Territory or local government authority of a State/Territory
  • an Australian consular or diplomatic officer
    (within the meaning of the Consular Fees Act 1955)
  • a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia, CPA Australia or the National Institute of Accountants
  • a registrar or deputy registrar of a court
  • a person enrolled as a legal practitioner on the roll of the Supreme Court of a State/Territory or the High Court of Australia
  • a judge or magistrate of a court
  • a Chief Executive Officer of a Commonwealth Court.


Certification via electronic verification

Christian Super may verify your identity via a secure electronic verification platform which is managed by a service provider. This process will verify your personal details against reliable and trustworthy government and independent sources.


Change of name or signing on behalf of another person

If you have changed your name or are signing on behalf of another person, you will need to provide a certified linking document that proves a relationship exists between two (or more) names.



Your certified proof of identity documents and any other information that you provide us will be handled in accordance with our Privacy Policy.  You can find more about our Privacy Policy here.